According to the data of international orthopedic registries, osteoarthritis is the most prevalent joint pathology in the world. Incidence of the disease increases with aging, therefore therapeutic approaches should be applicable to both young people and the elderly ones.
According to the data of international orthopedic registries, osteoarthritis is the most prevalent joint pathology in the world. Incidence of the disease increases with aging, therefore therapeutic approaches should be applicable to both young people and the elderly ones. In failure of numerous conservative measures and physical therapy, arthroplasty comes to the fore. Hip osteoarthritis treatment in Germany includes few arthroplasty methods that are designed for patients of different age, with different physical activity and state of bone tissue.
Restoring own joint with conservative treatment options
Conservative treatment is the first-line measure in patients with coxarthrosis. Started early enough, at the mild osteoarthritis stage, it ensures significant symptoms relieving and postpones joint replacement.
Non-drug therapies include physical therapy (land- and water-based), regular exercises at home, splinting and bracing (as the temporary measure). It is also highly recommended to maintain normal body mass for avoiding the excessive load on the affected joint.
Pharmacotherapy includes administration of painkillers like acetaminophen or NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen). Medications can be introduced directly into the affected joint. These are injections of the hyaluronic acid and corticosteroids.
One more non-surgical option is stem cell therapy. Progenitors of chondrocytes (cells that form cartilage on the joint surface) are harvested from the healthy patient’s joint, processed and cultivated, and injected back to the affected joint.
Replacing own joint with an artificial prosthesis
Severe coxarthrosis with resistance to painkillers that leads to the significant limitations of patient’s physical activity typically requires joint replacement. German doctors use high-quality prostheses with the service life of 15-25 years. In addition, different surgical techniques are used in patients from different age groups.
Total hip replacement is substitution of the entire femoral head and acetabulum with the prosthesis. The femoral and acetabular components of the implant may be fixed with bone cement or by the cementless method, when the bone gradually grows onto the components. As a rule, candidates for the total hip replacement are people over 55 years old with relatively low physical activity.
Superficial McMinn’s hip replacement surgery is still connected with the surgical risks, but it is much less invasive. McMinn’s technique allows sparing femoral neck and most part of femoral head. This creates favorable conditions for the future revision replacement surgery in young patients.
Leading orthopedic hospitals
German healthcare system consists of over 2100 healthcare institutions. Orthopedic sphere is represented by hundreds of specialized departments of large hospitals and separate centers. List of the leading hospitals that are ready to admit international patients includes:
- University Hospital Heidelberg, Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology.
- Charite University Hospital Berlin, Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology.
- University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich, Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Sports Medicine.
- University Hospital Würzburg, Department of Traumatology, Hand Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- University Hospital Ulm, Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics.
Conservative orthopedics and hip replacement are typically followed by the rehabilitation program that facilitates functional restoring and improves quality of life.
Coming to Germany with Booking Health
Planning treatment of hip osteoarthritis in Germany it is important to consider type of therapy (i.e. conventional or invasive one) and patient’s state before and after the treatment. For instance, limitations in driving, long sitting or walking after the hip surgery may determine way of travelling; prolonged staying in the orthopedic rehabilitation center may require visa extending, etc.
In order to consider all the peculiarities of treatment abroad, it is better to contact Booking Health. The international medical tourism provider Booking Health helps patients in all medical and non-medical aspects of receiving therapy in Germany:
- Preparing the list of recommended clinics and explaining their advantages.
- Establishing preliminary communication with treating physician.
- Preparing the preliminary medical program for hip osteoarthritis diagnosis and treatment.
- Booking the date of appointment or admission to the clinic.
- Providing reasonable cost of treatment, excluding overpricing.
- Checking the bills and final calculation.
- Arrangement of follow-up examinations and distant consultations upon their results.
- Booking hotels or apartments, tickets, transfer.
- Providing services of medical translator.
Providing services of individual coordinator during staying in Germany.